Subject: [Leica] digital analog comparison
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Nov 3 19:02:26 2008

At 09:30 PM 11/3/2008, you wrote:
>Doug, Geoff, etc.
>I think comparing DMR/M8 pictures to scanned K25 film is not a fair
>comparison.  I think what you have to compare is a well exposed K25
>slide projected with a top of the line Pradovit Projector next to a
>projected digital image with an EQUALLY PRICED digital
>projector.  Maybe the several-grand (10 digit??) new Leica digital
>Projector can impress next to the K25 slide but at some point (to me
>at least) price performance becomes an issue too.
>
>Just the other day I looked at slides taken with my (now
>unfortunately sold) Contax 645 and 120 Makro Planar on Fuji Provia
>with my Rollei P11 dual format projector.  No projected digital
>image I have seen to date can beat that brilliance!  Ther is a
>reason multimedia slide projection enthusiasts are still going
>strong in Germany.
>Jan

Jan -

But whose ultimate output is a transparency to be viewed on a slide
projector?  Even when pros used Kodachrome, the ultimate output was
intended for print.  The Kodachrome had to be converted for a CMYK
printing press.  The fewer conversions you have to go through, the
truer your photo should be.  Today, the most direct route to print
would be a digital RAW file. I'm sure the Leica digital projector
will be fantastic - at about $15,000 - but I'm also sure I'll have
more photos ending up in print rather than shown through the Leica projector.

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com