Subject: [Leica] digital analog comparison
From: alcedo at verizon.net (Jan Decher)
Date: Mon Nov 3 18:30:34 2008

Doug, Geoff, etc.
I think comparing DMR/M8 pictures to scanned K25 film is not a fair
comparison.  I think what you have to compare is a well exposed K25 slide
projected with a top of the line Pradovit Projector next to a projected
digital image with an EQUALLY PRICED digital projector.  Maybe the
several-grand (10 digit??) new Leica digital Projector can impress next to
the K25 slide but at some point (to me at least) price performance becomes
an issue too.

Just the other day I looked at slides taken with my (now unfortunately sold)
Contax 645 and 120 Makro Planar on Fuji Provia with my Rollei P11 dual
format projector.  No projected digital image I have seen to date can beat
that brilliance!  Ther is a reason multimedia slide projection enthusiasts
are still going strong in Germany.
Jan

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 09:18:17 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
From: wildlightphoto@earthlink.net
Geoff Hopkinson wrote:
> Digital sensors are miles behind film in what aspects?
> I respectfully disagree regarding the M8. In my experience,
> images from my M8 are superior to anything I ever scanned from
> my film M's. That is to say in resolution, scalability, control,
> flexibility, convenience, productivity.
> Sorry but there it is.
> I suspect that users of the R8/DMR have some views on
> this also.
My
experience with the DMR is much like Geoff's with the M8.  I compared
my last roll of K25 with the DMR at ISO400 and even neglecting the 4
stops faster shutter speeds the DMR whomped K25: better image detail,
color quality, dynamic range.  Plus the other stuff Geoff mentioned.
As it turned out I was glad I had no more K25.  The biggest drawback of
the DMR is that I can't put it on the SL.
Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] digital analog comparison)