Subject: [Leica] IMG: Camera store senorita
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Nov 15 18:14:05 2008

George Lottermoser offered:

>> In all seriousness, Ted, while I agree with what you expressed I'm not
sure this email format

works well for "hard assed about the quality"

I see things and think, "don't post those thoughts"

especially when others say "great shot"

about images that I'm thinking "why did you bother to make and show that
photograph?"

There's something about email which does not serve

cold water well.<<<<<<<<<

Hi George,

Absolutely been there and said it to myself. You're absolutely correct about
the e-mail system not being conducive to wrapping another's knuckles, or
trying to explain an improvement particularly doing so in the face of
several hundreds of viewers. Without instant opportunity of rebuttal or
question.

Or worse, ten others coming back with their versions of what maybe good or
bad after one has given a solid critique. That only creates ten points of
view and confusion to the original shooter.

I suppose my comment was along the lines of my Leica Seminar when we do the
"Critique session" on the final afternoon while everyone hears my comments
of each photograph. This becomes a learning lesson for all in attendance.

Certainly when the attendees have all been shooting within the same area, it
illustrates what some have seen and others haven't. Or one shoots the
subject beautifully, 5 others shoot the identical subject, but with what
appears not one thought of composition, light in particular. Or the many
elements of creating a "well composed" and interesting photograph that's
pleasing to the eyes!

As you mentioned, >>>" I'm not sure this email format

works well for "hard assed about the quality"

On second thought I agree with you completely. And on occasion why I've
offered a photo would be better discussed about a round table and a beer to
keep it in perspective and peaceful. :-)

So in that perspective I suggest I'll leave well enough alone! :-) :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Re: critique (WAS: Camera store senorita))