Subject: [Leica] "Life" Magazine photo archive hosted by Google
From: leica at web-options.com (Bob W)
Date: Wed Nov 19 00:39:28 2008

Many of the pictures are by Magnum photographers, who were with Magnum at
the time, so the copyright belongs to Magnum and the photographer('s
estate). Publishing the pictures (again) doesn't necessarily breach
copyright. Presumably at the time of original publication Life had a
contract which included the right to re-publish.

It will be interesting to see how Magnum reacts, given that they were
founded specifically to defend their photographers' copyright. The trouble
is that in situations like this the small fish often loses, whatever the
merits of the case, simply because of money. I heard Philip Jones Griffiths
talk about Francis Ford Copolla's use of Griffiths's photos in Apocalypse
Now! without permission or attribution. When they broached Copolla about it
his reaction according to Griffiths was 'those words so beloved of
Hollywood: Sue Me!'. Magnum couldn't afford to.

Bob

[...]

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] "Life" Magazine photo archive hosted by Google)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] "Life" Magazine photo archive hosted by Google)