Subject: [Leica] Re: Google book scanning
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Wed Nov 19 08:29:19 2008

I believe your quote was "fair use" and was properly attributed along
with a link to the parent publication. That seems good technique to
me.

Unfortunately the kid-lings of the world, in their great desire to
take music, have really made a mockery of intellectual property. On
the other hand copyright holders have pushed the length of ownership
out so far that it seems meaningless.

Once images are release onto the web I think they have to be
considered "in the wild". You put them there at your own peril. Maybe
if you have great steganography you can point to mis-used images and
demand either compensation or that they be taken down, although Tina
hasn't managed to have one of hers taken down after years, according
to one of her recent posts here.

Maybe there's a business model to chase down digitally water-marked
images for rights-holders but I doubt if most of them would pay what
it costs in terms of development and time to make it happen.

Adam