Subject: [Leica] Efke 820 IR
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue Dec 2 07:25:04 2008

Thanks George,

Here's a bit bit more detail on the Efke. It was my first roll. I
guessed at exposure and development since there isn't a lot of
instruction.

Everything was in full sunlight. Exposure was 1 sec at f8. (maybe a bit
longer since I used B,  counted "one-thousand-one" and tried to err on
more, rather than less, exposure).

I wanted to use my 2.8F. I thought I had a B+W 092(89B) in my filter
drawer, but sadly it turned out to be an 091 and not true IR. I happened
to find a Kalt lens shade in Bay II that I picked up at camera flea
market (remember those?) years ago. A 49mm Hoya 720 serendiptously, and
to my surprise, fit snuggly into that shade (almost like it was made for
it). So I used my 3.5E.

I mounted the 3.5E on a Gitzo and toted the setup several miles across
golf course terrain. I never once worried the filter would fall out.
That's how perfectly it fit. Part of the fun of analog photography and
older equipment is rigging up things that work, and work quite well,
without electricity. :-)

I developed the film in Xtol 1:2 for 15 min, prewet and agitated on the
minute. I think it was a tad underdeveloped. I'm going to try PMK next.
I've been having intermitent problems with Xtol, for some unknown
reason.

I think I prefer 120 over 35mm for IR. Sometimes it's hard to burn
through 36 frames while out for an IR stroll. I like to develop right
after exposing a roll. One of my M6's has a half used roll of HIE in it
right now. Admittedly, I've been too judicious with the HIE since I only
have a few rolls left and it's discontinued.

I scanned the 120 images within 3 hours after they were taken. I used my
Epson 1600 Expression. It's OK for the web, but not for making prints.

A Nikon 8000/9000 has been on my wish list for quite some time, but I
don't shoot enough to justify buying one. Plus, digital inks (the ones I
use at least) can't produce DMAX like I can get with chem prints. Blacks
are critical in any BW (IMO, even moreso than mid-tones in most images,
because mid-tones get their reference from the blackest black and the
whitest white), but rich blacks are especially critical in IR.

If I buy an 8000/9000 for printing work I'll also need a new
printer....while I'm at it a new computer to handle bigger files...and
probably some new software, too. Thus I've decided to use up my analog
stuff first. :-)

I made chem prints last night. Luckily 8 of the 12 images were worth
printing. Christmas shopping for relatives is complete!!! Hooray! I
bought 10 rolls of Efke from Freestyle to try. I'll definitely be
ordering more.

Thanks again for looking.

DaveR