Subject: [Leica] Shake the dust off that analog camera!
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue Dec 2 08:23:29 2008

Len,

Thanks for the kind words. I've only shot one roll, so I'm not that
familiar with it. But I don't think it's as finicky as HIE. I loaded and
unloaded the film in shade and I didn't see any signs of edge fog. I
also think 120 is easier to handle than 35mm.

My only complaint is film curl. It isn't too bad. It's not even an issue
when I print, since I use a glass neg carrier. But I don't have a glass
carrier for scanning. Nothing is as bad as APX 100, which is more prone
to curl than a contented hog's tail. I've been using that so anything
else seems like a piece of cake.

Since my first roll turned out pretty well, and I'm certainly no expert,
I've got to believe it's a fairly forgiving film.
I would recommend a prewash, though. The prewash went in as water and
came out as deep blue, which I think indicates substantial anti halation
die.

As much as I love the M6 I'm rediscovering the joy of using a
Rolleiflex. I never worry about whether or not I have the right lens (or
lenses). I like waist level viewing. And I really like 120. At least for
BW. It's a cinch to develop. All you need is a small tank, a spool, and
a changing bag. Even printing isn't that difficult. I made a mistake
when I sold my Saunders 6700. I kept my D2 so I could print 4x5 as well
as 120. The Saunders didn't require any setup and takedown (I have to
align my D2 any time I move it). It was easier to use than my Focomat. I
could make prints in a 6' X 6' bathroom using the Saunders. It was like
a 120 Valloy.

I'm a proponent of analog. Sure it's a pain to (re)acquire the basics if
you don't have them. But analog photography is relatively inexpensive.
It's important to keep things simple. IMO, analog photography is a true
photographic experience. It's amateur photography at its best, IMO, akin
to rediscovering your youth, as it were. It's lots of fun and you never
stop learning.

Dust off that Rolleiflex and put it to good use! :-)

I picked up this 2.8F http://www.daverodgers.net/ last summer, complete
with just about every accessory ever made for it. Rolleiflexes are meant
to be used!!!! Some people can't get past the reversed image. "Hey why
does it point left when I turn it to the right?"  I always reply, "Oh,
you must be used to one of those newfangled devices." (I don't even mean
digital. I mean M3).

DaveR