Subject: [Leica] Daved and confused
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue Dec 2 10:45:37 2008

Dave,

it's even worse, all our pictures are now simply made of numbers :-)

Visualisation IS still important - we now just have a lot more leeway
for making mistakes - and, fortunately, the opportunity to correct them
with another shot within seconds of having viewed them on the back of
the camera.

What we now have is more or less an equivalent of a Polaroid back on a
film camera.

Admittedly, when comparing shooting Digital SLR and MF on 120 film, I
notice that I've got very sloppy about checking settings DOF and a whole
load of other things I used to always try and get right every time.

Digital does make things too easy in many respects, but at least it
doesn't waste costly film and processing cost/time when you get it wrong.

If you look at it another way, RAW files are just "Exposed Film", what
comes next is an, albeit different, technique of developing that already
includes dodging and burning, exposure corrections and all the other
bits and bobs we did to get a decent negative, slide or print.

On film everything ran smoothly in the lab as long as the exposure was
right and negatives were neither too thin or dense - the same applies in
digital  when you get the parameters right first time you have very
little post-processing to do.

Two really great things about digital: you can't get grubby fingerprints
or smears on RAW files and you can always go back and start again if you
get the processing wrong.

The tools have remained the same in essence, they're just now in a
different toolbox.

Keep up the visualisation - it also pays off in digital photography.

Cheers
Douglas