Subject: [Leica] Re: Micro 4/3
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sun Dec 7 03:04:04 2008

I had a play with a Panasonic G1 at Photokina. I was particularly
interested by the viewfinder since I find the Olympus 4/3 optical
viewfinders give an awfully small and dim view. Th E3 is the biggest
and brightest 4/3 finder so far but the autofocus is poor and the
screen not good enough for consistent manual focus results (though,
with long lenses, I get a better hit ratio with manual than auto focus).
The G1 viewfinder was much better than I was expecting, both big and
bright. The only problem I had was that the little press and turn
adjustment wheel on the front grip was almost impossible not to press
accidentally whilst holding up to the eye. About 1/3 of the people at
the booth, myself included, were looking puzzled as the camera beeped
warnings and they tried to guess what pressing the dial did.
I have no idea about picture quality, and the sensor has almost the
same pixel density as would be found on a 50 megapixel full frame
sensor, so noise is unlikely to be a strong point.
The viewfinder is by far the best I have tried on a 4/3 camera.
Frank