Subject: [Leica] Re: Micro 4/3
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Mon Dec 8 02:40:18 2008

Frank

I've checked the G1 in a local store recently. It's true the finder is
bigger and brighter (or lets say more illimunated) than of any Oly
E-something, but personally I guess I'd have a long time to get used to that
pixel viewer, though the pixels are significantly smaller than in all other
EVF's I've seen. Then I also noticed a small time lag, and also noticed
strong AF troubles when heading it into a dark corner. And as, said, the
size  is about the same of a E-420 or 520 while I expected such a camera to
be smaller. But this is just a beginning and the system has nevertheless an
interesting potential.

I'm still not shure if such a body is really interesting for old manual
focus lenses, but that's up to each one's taste. For many, the ability
ofusing their old glass is the main feature a new body must have. Personally
I prefer AF on dslr cameras, and manual focus on rangefinders.

The micro 4/3 advantage is compactness together with a sensor bigger than
almost all other compacts, but in terms of picture quality (and also manual
focusing ability) it likely can't rival the middle and upperclass dslrs with
aps-c or bigger, or a M8.

Btw, the E-420 viewfinder is small, but definitely not dim. I just looked
through it and compared the brightness with a M6 (with MP upgraded finder)
and the R-D1. The R-D1 wins this comparison hands down, but to my own
surprise, the M6 is clearly dimmer than the Olympus' finder, which is as
sharp, but brighter. I also can't share your opinion about the Olympus
autofocus, mine (a E-420) is astonishingly fast and accurate, and from what
I've heard from users the E-3 is quite better. I've shot a junior sport
event with the 420, yesterday, and of course I had a lot of unsharp pics,
but less than with a rangefinder, and not more than with another DSLR except
the high end pro Canons and Nikons with their advanced AF features.

Didier

Replies: Reply from frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE) ([Leica] Re: Micro 4/3)
Message from leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Re: Micro 4/3)
Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Re: Micro 4/3)