Subject: [Leica] Re: G1 as M8 surrogate
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Dec 7 07:30:24 2008

On Dec 7, 2008, at 6:06 AM, Robert wrote:

> Here is a thread with photos shot with a Pana G1 (??4/3 mount) using
> M-mount lenses including a Canon 50/0.95:
>
> http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4194

We live in interesting photographic times. This discussion on the G1
is reminiscent of the speculation about the M8 before it was widely
sold. If the G1/Leica system works out it is a way for us cheapies to
use Leica glass for digital photography. Today I had the opportunity
to fondle a G1 at a New York area photo store. For an $800 camera it
is light and plasticky and doesn't have the apparent quality of the
older Leicas. But who can tell what lurks inside electronic cameras.
If the price history of digitals is any predictor, I expect the cost
to drop sharply after the holidays. Especially when Olympus comes out
with a rival camera.

As far as size goes, it is approximately equivalent to my CL but with
a somewhat different form factor. Not all Leica glass is large and
heavy. The 40mm Summicron from the CL would fit nicely on the G1, as
would the collapsible Summicrons and Elmars. I have some very tiny
LTM lenses, a 35mm Summaron and a razor sharp 100mm Canon that would
not overpower the G1 body. Indeed, the flange to sensor distance is
so short that, with proper adapters, just about ANY 35mm camera lens
could be mounted.

I guess I'll wait a few months to see what the competition between
Panasonic and Olympus produces, or wait for the catastrophic fall in
M8 prices as Leica struggles to avoid bankruptcy.

Larry Z