Subject: [Leica] Re: Boats and cameras
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon Dec 8 07:51:37 2008

On Dec 7, 2008, at 4:08 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> Ken Lassiter wrote: "A Leica is a bit like a boat."
>
> Truer words couldn't have been said.
> Boats cost a ton of money up front and the upkeep may bankrupt a
> person,
> but they are indeed wonderful to sail. Nothing else like it.

I wish that boats were as cheap to use and maintain as cameras. I own
both and I can tell you without hesitation that Commodore Vanderbilt
was right. "If you have to ask how much a boat costs (to own and
maintain), you can't afford it."

My modest sized motorsailer needed a new propeller shaft this year -
cheap at only $5000. Winter storage is $1500. Summer marina fees
about $2000. Bottom paint at $150 per gallon. Insurance over $2000.
Diesel fuel at $4 a gallon - and on and on. Boat owners estimate that
yearly operating and maintenance costs average 20% of the original
boat price. For an M8 that would be about $1000 in CLA fees per year.

In contrast I have a M3, bought new in 1954. In the 54 years I have
owned it and used it hard, the only maintenance it received was a
$200 tune up by Sherry Krauter. Not because it needed it but because
I felt it was about time and wanted to give it a treat. My CL has
cost $0 since I bought it in the 70s, except for exposure meter
batteries.
Film cost excepted , of course.

The moral - if you are strapped for money, buy the most expensive
Leica you can and enjoy the fact that you are not one of those stupid
and profligate boat owners.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Re: Boats and cameras)