Subject: [Leica] Micro 4/3rds and using M lenses
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Sun Dec 7 14:54:33 2008

> Message: 7
> Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 23:00:17 +0800
> From: Topher <topher@netvigator.com>
> Subject: [Leica] Re:Micro 4/3rds and using M lenses
> To: lug@leica-users.org
>
> To Howard in HK et al...
>
>   I bought a Pani G1 a few days ago, and I quite like the EVF. The
> kit lens is not too bad, and their method of manual focus works quite
> nicely, magnifying a selected portion of the viewfinder. If this works
> as well on lenses with an adapter, it should be quite easy to focus M
> lenses, and not have to worry about focus shift etc. Someone in some
> forum (can't remember where) also pointed out that the evf compensates
> for low light (which might be bad if you like dark pictures) but
> stopped down lenses would also be much easier to focus.

HI Chris,
Congrats on the G1 purchase. You will be well acquainted with the
camera by the
time my adaptor arrives. I have sent you a PM about that.

>    Noise seems on the same level as the canon G10, perhaps a bit
> better at 800 but still quite awful at 1600. The camera is quite
> plasticky, but on the flip side it is wonderfully light and small. And
> the moveable screen is quite good for street shooting...

Sounds like an ISO performance more or less like the M8

>    I would be quite interested in how the adapter from japan works;
> as soon as they have one for leica AND one for penF lenses maybe i'll
> try to schedule a vacation in japan to buy some! hehe I have 6 lovely
> tiny little penF lenses gathering dust that would be quite fun to use
> on this camera....
>
>    Has anyone in this group used the Panileica (Leicasonic? sounds
> better) 25 1.4? Is it expensive? Nice look? i'll have to do some
> research....

I have this lens and use it on an E3 - it is big and produces Leica
like images
with smooth bokeh and great micro contrast. I tried it via adaptor on
the G1
at the Panasonic showroom (top of the Sogo Department Store in
Causeway Bay) and it seems huge on the G1
See
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/25mmSummilux/
for some sample photos taken with the 25 Lux.

>   If Howard or anyone else in HK wants to shoot some files on my
> camera, i work in TsimShaTsui.......

Thanks much - as mentioned I have PMed you about setting up a meeting.
Cheers Back
Howard in HK