Subject: [Leica] RD-1 now Backup
From: octabod at gmail.com (Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas)
Date: Sat Dec 13 11:53:12 2008

On 13/12/2008, at 19:52, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> The computer I have is an iMac which I bought earlier this year. But
> I would have bought this computer even if I were not taking
> pictures. I use it to surf, to e-mail, to work with Excel, Word,
> Powerpoint etc. So its cost was not incurred as a consequence of
> photography and so should not be counted.

why not? I always found this pretty much an accountant's trick, just
like the kind of reasoning like I use the car to commute, but as long
as I will have it for myself the cost of commuting fuel should not be
counted as a work expense.

The fact is that digital photography up to certain level -that we all
here match- requires a computer with proper software and storage, and
despite we already have one or not, or if it's shared with another
tasks, should be counted. We can discuss what percentage of cost
charges each task, but to me (who works mostly coding custom software)
the added cost seems as clear as film in a film camera.

cheers.

I feel better, to hell with photography, art, women, and all
E. Weston, 1924
http://luis.imaginarymagnitude.net/

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] RD-1 now Backup)
Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] RD-1 now Backup)