Subject: [Leica] un-believable
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat Dec 20 09:48:44 2008

I own or have used the following non-P&S digital cameras,
Canon d30
Canon 10D
Canon 5D
Canon 1Ds Mk2
Nikon D200,
Nikon D300,
Nikon D700,
Nikon D3,
Olympus E3,
Olympus E510,
Epson RD1

None produce results for normal photography to match the M8. The
nearest is the Epson.
I am pretty sure it is the lenses.
If the reports are true, as seems likely to this engineer, that a
24x26 sensor of current type is unsuited to rangefinder lenses I, for
one, am happy to have the M8. If a new sensor technology comes along
making digital sensors immune to the exit pupil of the lens being very
near the sensor, and a 24x36mm sensor M9 is released, I may buy one.
I use an autofocus SLR with a zoom lens for grandchildren and pet
photography, I use a SLR and long or macro lens for wildlife. That
apart there is nothing any of the cameras above can do that I
personally want to do, and their image quality is not as good.
It is as simple as that.

Frank