Subject: [Leica] re: film scanners
From: dnygr at cshore.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Mon Dec 22 04:56:42 2008

For some time I have been contemplating buying a scanner for my 35 and
120 negatives.

The Nikon 9000 seems to get good reviews, but after you buy glass film
holders and aftermarket software, the cost comes to about $3,000 and
that's a lot to spend.

It's not as much as an Imacon--four times cheaper. A friend has an
Imacon and another the Nikon. I've been paying them to scan negatives.
In the long run, it will be cheaper to  have my own scanner, but for
now, I have other priorities, and I must admit, I prefer the look of
darkroom prints to those from digital printers.

If my friends moved away today and I had to buy a scanner, I'd probably
go for the Nikon 9000. The Imacon is just too expensive, and I hear you
have to pack it back up and send it off for service every so often.
What a pain.

Best--Doug