Subject: [Leica] LUG Print Exchange January!!
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Wed Dec 24 07:02:35 2008

On Dec 23, 2008, at 6:25 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> I do think making a print and having a book made might have some vague
> overlap but are two completely different topics.
> When I like most people over the decades practicing photography want
> to see
> my latest picture I make a print of it.
>
> People now can make make a digital file and never have to make a
> print.
> They upload it to a gallery or to a service which makes a print or a
> book.
> Or any number of other things.
> To me in a strong way it's a jpeg by any other name.
>
> Getting a nicely designed packet with a stack of prints in it all
> made in
> different methods on different paper by different Rollei people, and
> guess
> what with Rollei cameras coincidently enough, was a nice experience.
>
> It did not feel like getting a book in the mail.
> Not even vaguely.
> I don't think these two things overlap or otherwise threaten each
> other.
>
> Books are nice but my "book" over the past 15 years has not been a
> book.
> But a stack of fiber not RC prints in a box.
> Before that I had a "book" of my best work.
> People would flip through it.
> I'd make sure the prints were in the right order and the pages were
> fresh.
> No one tried to order one.

thanks Mark... I have great  appreciation and understanding for the
print as a means of expression...

and I love them, used to work in a darkroom...

I know you are very dedicated to that timeless part of photography,

but I always put the photograph first, regardless of how it is
presented.

Much rather see hundreds of LUG's best images in a book, as I will
never see them in a print, as I want to see them.

I think a bit too much is made of the print, putting the method above
the message...

I would rather hear a performance of Beethoven's Ninth, whether or not
I see the original score.

However I think we might consider how to makes prints available, of
selected images,  from the book...

yours, mine, and others...

Steve