Subject: [Leica] reflection...
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Mon Dec 29 15:01:29 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 3:21 PM, Greg Lorenzo wrote:

> Steve Barbour wrotes:
>> Mark and his two Presa Canario's...> > >
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/paw2008/mark_bella_dolce.jpg.html
> I believe it was two dogs of this breed, or this breed mixed, that
> attacked and killed a woman in San Francisco a fews back (Dianne
> Whipple?).
>
> I'm a dog lover but this one breed I would not want to own,
> especially in the city or anywhere around children.

me too Greg, I know.   While I can't defend this breed, as it has a
bad reutation for aggressive behavior, often it's the owner/trainer
that's the problem. People who are the last ones  who should have this
breed, as well as rottweilers, and pit bulls, are often attracted to
them. These especially, and all dogs, must be properly trained and
socialized. These two are very well trained, obedient, but they are
not my dogs and I keep my eye on them closely. Interestingly their
owner is a professional photographer friend.   I , as a physician,
have cared for too many children, victims of life threatening dog
attacks. I am certainly one not one to address your feelings casually,
as I think the owners often grossly miscalculate the attributes and
behavior of their own dogs...
by and large I don't feel very generous to the dogs or to the owners.

The immense  tragedy in San Francisco involved a couple of dogs, with
a complicated history, living in an apartment building, with people
not in control of them,  and those dogs had been specifically trained
to be vicious, trained to defend and attack....

The breed to me has a scary reputation and appearance,

Steve