Subject: [Leica] And so it begins...
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Sat Jan 3 05:24:32 2009

David, I believe we are exactly on the same page. There will develop an
active tension between the drive of commerce (competitive innovation) and
the limitations of available (financial - and human) resources.

That said, there are today investment opportunities in the shares of great
companies that have not existed since the Great Depression. Examples:
Weyerhaueser is the largest private (non-government) owner of timber in the
world (5,700,000 acres owned and 15,800,000 acres held under license). It
sells wood products in U.S. and throughout Asia. Shares now trading around
$30. Its shares were trading at $27.50 in February 1977 when its earnings
were a tiny fraction of today's earning power (it's had losses this year).
The book value of its shares is $36., tangible book value is $31./share and
the Company has $22./sh in cash.

Closer to home, i.e. the interests of the LUG, Eastman Kodak is not going
bust, not that it is too big to fail but that Antonio Perez, Chairman, is
executing one of the biggest changes in corporate direction in business
history, film to digital. Those LUGGERS who attended LHSA's annual meeting
and the Kodak presentation in Rochester a year ago learned, as I did, that
Kodak INVENTED THE DIGITAL CAMERA, in 1977 for heaven's sake, and saw the
prototype, a huge piece of equipment. The Company did not develop it because
electronic technology at the time lacked the ability to produce the tiny
chips that make today's marvels possible. And Kodak did not see the
commercial potential.

Kodak and the yellow box is one of the world's great recognizable brands. In
addition to digital cameras, capture and the yellow kiosks, it is already
competing strongly with Hewlett-Packard in the printer arena. Kodak shares
closed yesterday at $6.87 and have traded as low as $5.83 in the last
months. My charts don't go back to the 1950's but until this year, the
lowest Kodak shares have trade since June 1962 is $9.92. That's 46 years!
The current price may be the lowest since the early 1950's. Kodak's book
value is $15.97, its tangible book value is $8.73. (excluding good will and
intangibles) and it owns $6.72 a share in cash. And I could give you several
more.

P.S. Although I do my own research and make most of my own modest investment
decisions, I am not a financial advisor and caution everyone reading this to
do their own 'due diligence' and seek their own independent advice.

Again, a happy, healthy New Year to all!

Seth