Subject: [Leica] 24mm - too close to 28mm?
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sat Jan 3 14:13:26 2009

Mark I wrestled with this also. I am shooting with the M8. I have the
Summicron 28. I was considering getting a 21 but ended up choosing the 24
because I can use the viewfinder when I want without an external one.
Although it isn't a large focal length difference on paper, I find the 28
much better for people shots owing to the different perspective. It is also
much more compact. You can replace the lens hood with a much smaller one on
the M8 too.

I found the 24 to be the perfect general wide for me for scenery (on the
M8), although I have an 18 for when I want to be really expansive.  I was
loaned the Elmarit M 24 for my recent trip. I actually have the new Elmar 24
on order here (there is just one coming to Australia in the first shipment).
Performance wise there looks to be very little practical difference between
the two 24s on an M8. Of course the Elmarit is a stop faster. Actually due
to special pricing (on the Elmarit) both lenses cost about the same here
which is a little crazy. What decided me was the smaller form factor for the
Elmar including the hood and the fact that it's 46mm which lets me use my
universal Pol with it.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/
Pick up your camera and make the best photo you can.