Subject: [Leica] Cuba?
From: gregj_lorenzo at hotmail.com (Greg Lorenzo)
Date: Sat Jan 3 23:01:11 2009

Tina,

We spent a week in Cuba in March 2003: 6 days at our resort in Veradaro and
a full day in Havana. Cuba has some of the friendliest people we've come
across and the nicest beaches. I do wish that we had spent more time in
Havana and I will do so when we go again.

As mentioned by Kevin, our US dollar denominated credit card (issued by our
Canadian Bank) was not accepted anywhere in Cuba, so be prepared to bring US
dollars in cash. Your ability to rent a home is going to be extremely
limited and offically 'not allowed' by the Cuban government (at least that
was the case in 2003). Housing is assigned by the government and residents
could find themselves in for significant problems with their government were
they to house a foreigner without prior government permission. You best bet
is to stay in a hotel. Driving on Cuban roads can be a little dicey. I
believe if you can afford a car there and fog a glass you are allowed to
drive with some limitations as to where and when.

If you go, do not bring a cellphone or radio receiver or two way radio. We
were held up at the Veradaro Airport for more then an hour coming in the
country as one family from Calgary had packed radios in their luggage. They
were just allowed into the country by the skin of their teeth - radios were
confiscated by the Cuban emigration staff. Film, if you bring it, will be
xrayed both coming into and leaving the country - no hand checks ever. As
will your luggage. The xray machines were very old, large and I suspect
leaky so stay back.

As a US citizen and professional photographer you can apply for a cultural
permit that will officially permit you to travel to Cuba. Cuban customs did
not stamp our passports and that was/is their policy.

Greg Lorenzo
Calgary, Canada> Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 20:04:03 -0500> To:
lug@leica-users.org> From: images@comporium.net> Subject: [Leica] Cuba?> >
LUG:> > We are planning our annual winter trip - had thought about Laos but
I > think that will require more planning and time than we have this > year.
Has anybody been to Cuba lately? What do you > recommend? Usually we go to a
country and rent a house and a car for > a month but I don't think that's
possible in Cuba. I would > appreciate any suggestions.> > TIA> > Tina> >
Tina Manley> www.tinamanley.com > > >