Subject: [Leica] Back from the trip: some reflections on the M8
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue Jan 6 12:01:18 2009

This afternoon I returned to Alicante from my 2-week holiday in Poland
and Germany. It is cold here today: when I landed, it was only  14 C,
or in the high 50s for you Fahrenheit folks. But I will not complain;
when we were taking off from D?sseldorf about 3 hours earlier, the
temperature there was -12C. In general, I had not experienced above-
freezing temperatures since leaving Alicante on December 23.

During the trip, I took about 1000 pictures with my new M8, some of
which you have seen already, with more to come. I only had two lenses
with me, the 35mm Summarit and the 50mm Summilux. Eighty percent of
the time I used the 35mm, and it is magnificent. Being so limited in
terms of focal length was annoying at times (in the narrow streets of
Wroc?aw's old quarter I would really have liked something wider) but
on the other hand it was good photographic discipline.

The M8 came through with flying colors. No errors, no hiccups, good
battery life even though on many days it was being used outside for
several hours in sub-freezing weather. I had a film body with me for
backup but did not need to use it at any time. Last night I was
walking around Dresden--not sure what the temperature was, but it was
certainly below -10C, and there were no problems whatsoever, except
that my ears got cold since I had no hat with me.

On returning, I found in my post the UV/IR filters for the two lenses
I already have, so no more magenta from me. I also found the lens hood
for the 50mm Summilux. After checking various online shops and finding
that they were all asking in excess of 100 Euro for the original hood,
I decided to get one from ebay seller HeavyStar. It is a screw-in
Chinese imitation, but it is very well made, and the price (with
shipping to Spain) was a grand $22. Highly recommended. Now when I put
the 50 on the M8, I have a Zebra: black body, chrome lens, and black
lens hood. But the picture quality will be unaffected.

Well, enough rambling. Time for another single malt and then on to the
Chinese restaraurant for dinner (the rest of the family are still in
Puerto Rico).

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain