Subject: [Leica] European travel query
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue Jan 6 15:20:23 2009

Hi Geoff,

Usually quite good weather (around 20?C on average), but of course it
can be showery too.

Berlin is a great place to visit but it's a long way from Solms/Wetzlar.

Public transport in Berlin is fantastic, buses, trams in the eastern
part, suburban railways, underground and even rickshaws. Reckon 2 to 3
days for seeing the sights of the city and take advantage of a 2 or 3
day ticket for the entire public transport system - there are plenty of
sights to see.

Plenty to see in the region around Berlin, too  - Potsdam, for instance,
or the Spreewald - easily accessible by public transport. Dresden and
Leipzig are a bit further away (take a train), both are well worth visiting.
Depending on the time you have available, you could take a trip to
Schwerin, the coastal city of Rostock or Stralsund is all very
photogenic places - if you happen to like castles on lakesides and
Hanseatic architecture. The old part of Greifswald is nice too.

Frankfurt to Wetzlar takes about an hour on the train and costs about 18
euros one way. There is a local bus service from Wetzlar to Solms -
though I can't imagine why anyone would want to visit Solms ;-)

Frankfurt is the place for wives and daughters to enjoy themselves - the
best shopping opportunities in Germany - they can very quickly spend
enough to justify you buying plenty of Leica gear for yourself :-)

If you need more details, just let me know.

Cheers
Douglas