Subject: [Leica] Regarding those snaps of a few days ago
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Wed Jan 7 14:41:51 2009

Folks -

Thanks for all the on & off-list comments on the handful of images I
threw up recently.(???!!) Because of the nature of these comments
(pretty positive),  I'm gonna take a leap and say what I think about
them.

They're fine.  They're OK. I think I have a pretty good handle on how
to make stuff work within a rectangle (like so many others on the
LUG.).  You know; simplify forms, help make the viewing easy on the
eye movements, a little visual rhyming, throw in some geometry and
sometimes a bit of chiaroscuro dramatics and you get something that
looks like a pretty good snap.

Truth is, it's all seeming kindof cheap & facile to me these days.
Sometimes I think that I just do this stuff to sharpen my hunting
skills,  in case I actually need to shoot something of real value.

Could be one of those midlife things, but having some control of the
elements of visual vocabulary was supposed to be an intermediate
step, and I'm feeling like the next step is gonna involve a lot of
personal work to figure out if I have anything I really want to say
with shooting.

Maybe it's just another version of the "sharp picture of a fuzzy
concept" thing.  More like "well arranged graphically functional
pictures of fuzzy concepts."

Does this make sense??

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from crbirchenhall at googlemail.com (Christopher Birchenhall) ([Leica] Regarding those snaps of a few days ago)