Subject: [Leica] Regarding those snaps of a few days ago
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jan 7 14:59:08 2009

bob palmieri wrote:

> Sometimes I think that I just do this stuff to sharpen my hunting
> skills,  in case I actually need to shoot something of real value.

YES absolutely.

> Could be one of those midlife things, but having some control of the
> elements of visual vocabulary was supposed to be an intermediate
> step, and I'm feeling like the next step is gonna involve a lot of
> personal work to figure out if I have anything I really want to say
> with shooting.

Recognizing this as an intermediate step is a vital part of the process.
Lots and lots of photographers (and other creative types) never get beyond
this step - it's often called being stuck in a rut.  Reaching beyond this
step is risky: you risk making mistakes, losing your fan base, and
floundering for a while (if not forever).  It's re-inventing yourself.

I often feel like I'm in a rut.  A good rut, but I'd like to go beyond
where I am.  Trying new techniques (i.e., the kayak) is part of the process
but so far I don't feel like the results I've been getting are visually
distinct from the photographs I was making two or three years ago.  I don't
want to just refine my work, I want to re-invent it.  Does this make sense?

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web.com ? What can On Demand Business Solutions do for you?