Subject: [Leica] Travel hard drive?
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Sat Jan 10 09:57:49 2009

I have a HP Mininote 2133 netbook.  It has 1GB RAM and 120GB HDD.  My
version originally came with Suse Enterprise Linux 10 loaded.  I had
lots of problems with this and now run Ubuntu version 8.10 (Intrepid
Ibex), which supports the WiFi chip natively without the need to run
NDISWRAPPER (i.e. properly!).

I like the form-factor.  It's fractionally bigger than the Asus EEE 900
and the keyboard is about 90% the size of a 'full sized' laptop
keyboard.  The screen is excellent but its high resolution (1280x768) is
a double-edged sword on such a small machine.  It can be hard to read
things.  But it is on of the nicest screens I've seen on any laptop.

The machine is quite slow.  The VIA processor doesn't have a lot of
horsepower, but it's plenty good enough for emails, browsing and word
processing/spreadsheet work. It's 'only' a single core too.

The battery life is quite poor - but the standard battery has just 3
cells.  I typically get about 1.5 hours of use out of a charge.  I am
waiting for the 6 cell battery to be available in the UK.

By far the most annoying thing about the 2133 is the mouse pad, which is
very sensitive.  If you don't disable it when typing, the cursor has a
habit of jumping around so you end up over-typing words.  Having said
this, as I type this email, I have just disabled the 'click using the
keypad' option in the mouse control panel.  It will be interesting to
see if this helps to fix the problem.

It has a built in SD card reader, so can be used as a backup device for
SD cards.  Picassa will read dng files and I believe there are other
packages available for Linux that will work with them too.

Overall, I am pleased with it now it's running a decent operating system
(a Windows XP is available), though I believe machines using the new
Intel Atom processor are faster, have a better battery life and may be
less power-hungry.  For the money, which was just over ?300, I think
it's great.

Hope this helps.

If anyone's interested, I've written a piece on my blog about the trials
and tribulations of owning this machine -
http://www.monomagic.co.uk/blog/?p=145

Regards

Mark

Mark Pope,