Subject: [Leica] RE: Capitol Pictures
From: sanjay at microassist.net (Sanjay Nasta)
Date: Mon Jan 12 06:57:47 2009

Howard,

Thanks.  It is fun to get a bit of access for a change.  The funny thing is
walking back to the car I saw a cool little garden next to an office
building and took a shot and got yelled at by the security guard.  Thanks to
our work with the state police I knew my rights and told the man that I
wouldn't stop shooting from a public sidewalk.  It mystified him and he
didn't have a response.

How to do the Quicktime panos.  Well there's a lot of detail but here's the
outline.

1.  I used a Nikon D300 with a 10.5mm fisheye lens and shot 6 shots around
on a level tripod (you rotate about the nodal point of the lens).  It is
important to keep aperture, white balance constant so I shoot in A mode.
Before I shoot I test for the right settings by doing some test shots.  If
you want to be really intense about it you can take 3 shots at a -2, 0, +2
exposure and integrate them.
2.  You turn the camera up at the same point and take a ceiling (zenith)
shot.  Similarly turn it down and take the nadir shot
3.  You put all these shots into a program that will put them together.
Photoshop CS4 does it now but I use PTGUI.  Both programs will find the
points that connect the various photographs and also do a bit of blending.
4.  Of course there's tweaking.  Sometimes a person moves through the shot
and you have to do some masking, etc.

There are some beautiful panoramas at www.panoramas.dk  More help at
panoguide.com

Sanjay Nasta