Subject: [Leica] M8 Dust - in camera stabilization
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Tue Jan 13 17:31:18 2009

Hi Geoff,
Sorry for the delay in replying. For some reason this edition of the
LUG digest went into my Spam bin (which I don't check every day).
The G1 and the D700 do not have in body stabilization - their
stabilization is in indivdiual lenses. The E3 has a built in image
stabilization which moves the MOS sensor.
Quoting from the E 3 brochure:
"The E 3 features a powerful built - in image stabilization system to
eliminate blur caused by camera movement. The system is capable of
compensating against the effects of camera shake up to the equivalent
of 5 EV steps. A gyro sensor that was developed as a component for the
aerospace industry sends information about the tiniest vibrations to
supersonic motors that compensate for the vibrations by counteracting
their effects." Looking at the diagram accompanying the (less than
clear) explanation it looks like the MOS can be tilted front to back
and side to side with two SWDs (whatever they are) located on the side
and bottom of the MOS. This is on page 10 of the E 3 brochure if you
can lay your hands on one.
Cheers
Howard.