Subject: [Leica] How about those bags for hiking?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed Jan 14 07:27:07 2009

I've not done any serious photo/backpack hiking for quite some time.

When I did - it was mostly with large format Deardorf or Linhof cameras.
I used an extra large f:64 pack.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/91695-REG/
f_64_BPXG_BPX_Extra_Large_Backpack.html>
My version, some 15 or 18 years old, has a really fine, highly
adjustable, well padded harness which includes shoulder, sternum and
waste straps of proper size for adjusting weight distribution. The
most comfortable pack I've ever worn. It also has a great rain cover
built in.
A great value at their prices. They also have smaller backpacks in
their B&H listings.
I can't speak for the quality of current models; but 15 - 20 years
ago they made great packs for the money.

I also have a small Tamrac backpack case which works well enough for
short (few hour) walks. But the shoulder straps and waist belt is toy-
like compared to the f:64.

I recently picked up a couple of used PortaBrace backpacks for an
obscenely small price ($9.95 each on the bay) which also have
seriously wonderful harnesses and thick pads between the gear and
your back with separate pad at the lumbar spine. Again - amazingly
comfortable. They'll be perfect for long lenses and monopods.

Fond regards,
George

george@imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com