Subject: [Leica] Speaking of Franken-lens...
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Jan 15 10:14:18 2009

At 3:40 AM -0800 1/15/09, Richard Man wrote:
>As Howard says, we do it just because it can be done. Currently I have a
>Zeiss Distagon 35 shift being modified to work with the XPan (I can't
>wait!), but Canon has a TS 24 lens.... On the XPan, it would be 12mm
>ultra-ultra-wide! The-see-your-toes wide.
>
>Sigh, somehow I think I will try it, one of these days....
>
>--
>// richard m: richard @imagecraft.com
>// b: http://rfman.wordpress.com

I wouldn't bother. You'll still have some physical (mount) vignetting
and the quality of the 24TSE is not up to Xpan standards. Also,
putting a manual stop adjustment on it will be a pain. The angle of
view of the image (if there is no vignetting) would be like a 15.5mm
lens on 24x36.

If you want really wide (and sharp) get a Cambo Wide, a 6x12 back and
put a 35mm Apo-Grandagon on it. Cheaper than an Xpan with 30mm, and
it will give you the equivalent of 11.25mm on 24x36. And it's sharp!
The downsides are size and the need to deal with 120 or 220 film on
which you only get 6 or 12 shots. I don't use mine a lot, but when I
need really wide rectilinear, it's the one.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design