Subject: [Leica] Re: Speaking of tripods
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Jan 15 10:33:34 2009

Well, tripods are digital in a way that many things are digital. It's
an either or thing; 0's or 1's. Either they support what they're
intended to support, or they fall over.

I also now have 5 Gitzo tripods after I got rid of some. And they all
hold up the things they're intended to hold up and sometimes more.

I have a 509 with long columns, which I use for shooting over
unphotogenic objects in the city that get in the way, so I need an 8'
stepladder to complement it. I once had this set up on a busy
sidewalk downtown with a Sinar-p 4x5 on top, bag with accessories
hanging off the bottom of the column when someone, accidentally I
believe, ran into the stepladder and knocked it over. I grabbed the
tripod and slid down one of the legs. Fortunately it was set up
properly and had no trouble handling the extra load.

It's not a hiking tripod.