Subject: [Leica] Ultra-wide Heliar - was: M8 with UV-IR filters
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Jan 15 22:35:11 2009

At 5:39 AM +0100 1/16/09, Jean Louchet wrote:
> [...]
>f/5.6 are still minimal (contrary to most digi P&S with a pixel
>distance close to 1 micron and max apertures around f/3.5 which is
>ridiculous as at one stop under full ap the main diffraction lobe
>covers several pixels, and at full aperture its the same but caused by
>optical aberrations)
>
>I use 6-bit coding on the VC 1.5/50 and 1.9/28. On these lenses I only
>add  the IR filter when I use them e.g. on indoor concerts or theatre
>scenes - i.e. when there are simultaneously tungsten lighting AND
>people wearing synthetic black clothes. Otherwise I never felt the
>necessity of the IR filter with natural lighting or when there is nop
>black fabric. I took his one with the 12mm in my living/music room
>with all-tungsten ordinary lighting plus one halogen on the right:
>http://picasaweb.google.com/jean.louchet/Noel2008ParisCerdagneAristot#5291736370252996226
>(can't see the Erard grand which is hidden by the double bass).
>Tight space :-)
>
>Got the filter holder for the 12mm though (and never use the original
>lens hood). The filter holder looks huge at first sight but in real
>use it is not a problem at all, and it doesn't draw any special
>attention from people. Expensive for what it is, but a good
>non-obtrusive accessory.A plain UV(HMC) filter protects the front
>element which would otherwise be very vulnerable. The only issue is it
>won't fit easily into a normal individual lens case so I put it into a
>sock in my bag.
>
>To summarise, the 12mm is a very nice fit to the M8 and one of my
>favourite lenses - much more than the 15mm with the M6. The filter
>holder is definitely not "monstruous" at all and nicely designed. In
>addition it should allow the use of a polarising and viewing through
>it in the M8 viewfinder, so the 12mm+filter holder combination is
>probably the  handiest combination for a polariser on a non-SLR
>(sorry, the M8 or M6 with the CV 12mm is not a rangefinder camera).
>
>Jean
>

>>  Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:10:25 -0600
>>  From: Harrison McClary <lists@mcclary.net>
>>  Subject: Re: [Leica] M8 with  UV-IR filters
>[...]
>>
>>  I have a VC 12mm ultra wide Heliar.  How does it work on the M8 with no
>>  coding and filter?  Do I need to get that monstrously huge filter
>>  adapter and a IR filter for it and get it coded?  If so what is it coded
>> to?
>>
>>  --
>>  Harrison McClary
>[...]
>
>>  Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:18:51 -0500
>>  From: Tina Manley <images@comporium.net>
>[...]
>>
>>  Harrison -  I use the VC 12mm on my M8 with no problems at all - no
>>  coding, no filter.  It's more of a 15mm on the M8 and it's a much
>>  slower lens than I usually like, but I really like it on the
>>  M8.  I'll see if I can find some examples to post.

When using the lens with filter holder and filter, be careful of the
sun behind you. At times it can cause nasty flare off the backside of
the filter through the viewing aperture.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from eric.calderwood at btinternet.com (Eric Calderwood) ([Leica] Ultra-wide Heliar - was: M8 with UV-IR filters)