Subject: [Leica] Question about M8 exposure
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri Jan 16 07:28:24 2009

On Jan 16, 2009, at 8:54 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> I always try to find a Zone 5 to point the camera at, press the
> shutter half way to set the meter, and then recompose for the
> photo.  That's the way I shot film with my Leicas and that's the
> way I shoot digital.

Yup.
That's my basic 35/small camera metering style as well.
And when set on "Manual" no further compensation required - it's set.

Experience also feeds a lot of subconscious information into the
"system."
And that data becomes very difficult to discuss outside the specific
context.
My mind seems to evaluate (sub consciously),
while looking through the viewfinder,
the relationship of dark values to light values,
50/50? 70/30? 20/80?
Sometimes my fingers make adjustments
without a conscious thought.
The eye sees a lot of sky beginning to fill the frame
the fingers adjust for that current reality's effect on the meter.
The eye sees a lot of black suits beginning to fill the frame
the fingers adjust for that current reality's effect on the meter.

When the eye sees
extremely high contrast or extremely low contrast;
or "terrible" light
then the mind begins to work very consciously
as in - so how the hell do I handle this?
reflector? add a light?
can the sensor, PS or LR handle it?
what's the compromise?

Fond regards,