Subject: [Leica] Question about M8 exposure
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Fri Jan 16 06:54:45 2009

At 10:52 PM 1/15/2009, you wrote:
>Each time this discussion comes up - I reset the M8 to no
>compensation - shoot and meter as I normally do
>and invariably begin to find frames where the highlights are blown
>out (which I hate in digital).
>So I end up resetting to - 1/3 and highlight blowout in quick grab
>shots ceases.
>George

I've done exactly the same thing, George, and I always end up at
-1/3.  I think it must have something to do with the way we use the
camera as a meter.  I always try to find a Zone 5 to point the camera
at, press the shutter half way to set the meter, and then recompose
for the photo.  That's the way I shot film with my Leicas and that's
the way I shoot digital.  Of course, with the big SLRs you have
selective points that you can spin a wheel and choose where to set
the meter.  I'd rather use the camera.  I've done it so long, it's automatic.

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Question about M8 exposure)