Subject: [Leica] OT - Nikon D3X
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Fri Jan 16 08:13:24 2009

"A. Lal" wrote:

>>I don't think it is a matter of price alone; know-how may well play a
>>role.<<

Well, know-how...cost...price....they're all related.

Cameras today are about software and electronics. That's what surprises me
about Nikon. I always think of Nikon as an optics company. But they've
adapted well. You probably can't separate hardware from software in the
total imaging workflow today.

I remember talking to a Nikon rep years ago. Film was still predominant and
few photographers were thinking too much about software, other than PS to
work on scanned images. The rep emphasized that Nikon was making a huge
commitment to the software side of things. I thought she meant Capture. She
corrected me. The way she phrased it sounded like the post-camera processing
software was one small link in a much bigger chain that Nikon was committed
to mastering.

For an optics company to go out and hire a bunch of software techies is
probably a big paradigm shift. Not that Nikon did that...or didn't. I don't
know how they went about things. Yet it seems to me they developed a lot
firmware internally, versus contracting the firmware part of things out.
Again, just my impression for reading a lot.

So Nikon has been committed to the electronics and data processing side of
maximizing image quality for a while. Maybe they are just now getting ahead
of everyone. Canon, until recently, seemed to have the upper hand. Maybe
even Leica for a time.

Obviously the sensor is important. The thing I'm curious about is whether or
not Leica can get by without an AA filter in their bodies because their
lenses are so good. Is the real reason other companies have AA filters
because of moir?? Or is that just an excuse to dumb down the sensor because
their lenses aren't as good as Leica lenses? I'll probably never know, but I
still wonder.

DaveR