Subject: [Leica] WAS; Too much volume on the LUG NOW COLD AND CAMERA.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Jan 16 17:19:14 2009

Tina offered plaintively:

On Jan 16, 2009, at 15:02, Tina Manley wrote:

> Gloves?  It's cold here in South Carolina!!  12 degrees this morning

> and not supposed to get above freezing all day.  My chickens' water

> is frozen solid.  With my arthritic fingers, I can't hold the camera

> in the cold.  I'm using some special arthritis gloves, tight elastic

> with the fingertips cut out.  They help some with the arthritis but

> don't do much to keep my hands warm.  What do you guys who live in

> arctic temperatures all the time do?  I'll never move above the

> Mason-Dixon Line!!<<<<<<,,

OK dear lady here is a fine pair of gloves when using a camera or grabbing
the steering wheel at 40 below zero! Now that's cold in any country or
language.

They are the Lowe-Pro woolen gloves. Hey I don't care if any of you buy them
or not, this is just simple advise and how to keep your finger tips working
while pressing on ice cold metal! :-)

I use a pair of Lowe-pro woolen gloves with tiny rubber dots all over the
palms and fingers and they work wonderfully handling any camera.

And if you want something else to keep the finger tips warm over these?

Buy the biggest pair of mitts you can find in a USA war, well OK, military
surplus store that have the kind of mitts with a fur backing and are leather
of some kind. The bigger the better in size, as they're easier to shake off
and shoot. You attach a cord to them and thread them through your sleeves so
you can shake them off and not have to pick them up! SHOOT!  Put back on
over your Lowe-pro cotton gloves and you are laughing at the iceman and his
fridged temperatures! :-)

Trust me it works, as I've shot in the Canadian Arctic at 50 below zero F.
and my fingers and Leica's worked perfectly!

Oh there are a few other secrets to shooting in fridged weather and having
your cameras stay in working order while you keep toasty warm.. well for a
few hours anyway! :-)

Cheers,

Ted... who doesn't do cold, snow or any other rotten weather shooting any
more! :-)

When I use to be foolish enough to head out to take photos when it

gets really cold (Canadian scale, not Mason-Dixon scale :), mitts over

fingerless gloves worked for me. Take the mitt off for the minimum

amount of time possible. Also keep the fingers dry (no moisture so

don't sweat) or it might freeze to the camera.

I found that the light is different when it gets really cold (say -25C

or lower) at times due to any moisture in the air freezing and

resulting suspended ice crystal in the air.

But I never lived any place that got seriously cold ( defined as less

than -40C)...

Regards,

Spencer