Subject: [Leica] Help! Too much volume on the LUG
From: scheng at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Fri Jan 16 12:20:16 2009

On Jan 16, 2009, at 15:02, Tina Manley wrote:
> Gloves?  It's cold here in South Carolina!!  12 degrees this morning
> and not supposed to get above freezing all day.  My chickens' water
> is frozen solid.  With my arthritic fingers, I can't hold the camera
> in the cold.  I'm using some special arthritis gloves, tight elastic
> with the fingertips cut out.  They help some with the arthritis but
> don't do much to keep my hands warm.  What do you guys who live in
> arctic temperatures all the time do?  I'll never move above the
> Mason-Dixon Line!!

When I use to be foolish enough to head out to take photos when it
gets really cold (Canadian scale, not Mason-Dixon scale :), mitts over
fingerless gloves worked for me. Take the mitt off for the minimum
amount of time possible. Also keep the fingers dry (no moisture so
don't sweat) or it might freeze to the camera.

I found that the light is different when it gets really cold (say -25C
or lower) at times due to any moisture in the air freezing and
resulting suspended ice crystal in the air.

But I never lived any place that got seriously cold ( defined as less
than -40C)...

Regards,
Spencer

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] WAS; Too much volume on the LUG NOW COLD AND CAMERA.)