Subject: [Leica] Dehumanizing portraits?
From: lists at paulhardycarter.com (PHC)
Date: Mon Jan 19 01:38:25 2009

Some of the responses to this work have been amazing! This is not "bad
photography", it's a photographer using his own style. You might not
like it - indeed I'm not convinced that I do - but good grief, give
the guy a break.

The style makes me feel uncomfortable because it is so
anthropological. I reminds me more than anything else of the pictures
by scientific expeditions in the 19th century showing new, previously
unseen in the west, human races. Think of those portraits of
aboriginal Australians, or bushmen from southern Africa, stood in
front of a white sheet while a bloke with a big camera and an
exploding flash captures their image for the benefit of the Natural
History Museum, or the RGS.

The subjects of such portraits always look like skewered scientific
specimens, and the same look as been achieved here by Kander. This may
not have been intentional but it's the way I see it.

As regards the political orientation of the production team, I don't
see it as relevant. I'd say Kander did exactly what I would have done
- treat the subjects just like you'd treat anyone else. It's not his
job to make them look presidential, or ridiculous. It doesn't matter
to me what position someone holds, president or street sweeper,
they'll get the same treatment from me. Which probably explains why I
don't get too many portrait commissions from CEOs!

Cheers, Paul.

*******
Paul Hardy Carter
+44 (0)20 3239 9573