Subject: [Leica] Question about M8 exposure
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Jan 19 13:18:13 2009

Henning offered:

>> Over-exposing means not exposing correctly, as does underexposing.

If you clip some bits in the highlights, you better be sure they're

the sun, some other light source or specular reflections, and even

then the adjacent transition areas are susceptible to non-correctable

colour shifts. It's the nature of clipped digital information.

Distortion. And that's what you avoid by staying away from clipped

highlights.<<<<<<<<<<,

Hi Henning,

Well the first sentence explains it simply enough! Certainly the way I've
been lead to believe all these years. However, next visit to Vancouver,
shortly we hope, I'd much appreciate a quiet lesson of show and tell what
this "clipping stuff" is all about.

Given I've been shooting digital for a number of years now and never used
nor apparently required "clipping"? Well maybe I did need it and didn't
recognize it because I was working in my usual method of . "if the shot
looks beautiful don't mess with it" fashion. :-)

This is intriguing, much like learning adjustments when shooting film. But
dang the digital stuff is so easy "click-click" and never a thought as it's
always or nearly so looked great without much thought. Why bother looking up
what this word clipping and histogram is all about.

Vancouver here we come for a lesson. Thank you very much.

Cheers,

ted