Subject: [Leica] re: bokeh
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Jan 19 22:21:28 2009

Marty very thoughtful insights from you.
No argument from me on the two Leica lenses mentioned for extremely good out
of focus rendition!
But others would say 'Oh the new designs lack the smoothness or glow (or
whatever) of the older lenses. For example, the last pre-asph Summicron 35
is often held to be a bo-ke champion. It doesn't appeal to me at all
compared to its asph. replacement. I see a lot of that smoothness as
inability to resolve un-sharp detail, if you like. What I call
under-correction.
So I was saying to the OP, what do you understand by bo-ke or bokeh or
whatever you like to call it. Is it the way that OoF highlights are
rendered? Or the transition from sharp to unsharp or some subjective Leica
quality?
Anyhoo, maybe I'm leaping into too many theoretical threads!
It will be interesting to read what people have to say.