Subject: [Leica] re: bokeh
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon Jan 19 19:09:57 2009

I've spent too much time thinking about bokeh.  Some random thought follow.

Geoff's comment: "One man's smooth out of focus transition is another man's
remaining aberrations" is something with which I tend to disagree.  Good oof
rendition is good oof rendition - you see the residual aberrations
elsewhere, mostly in the in-focus field.  Some of the best corrected still
camera lenses currently available (the Leica 50/1.4 asph and 75/2 asphs in
particular) have extremely good out of focus rendition, as do some
stunningly, incredibly well corrected cine optics like the Zeiss Ultra Prime
and Ultra 16 series lenses.  They key seems to be in not over-correcting the
spherical aberrations, something which makes people perceive lenses as
'sharper' in the in-focus areas, as Nikon's 1960s marketing research
revealed, and subsequently became incorporated into many designs by them and
others, right up until recently.

I once did a survey to try to figure out what "good bokeh" comprised.  I
used photographers and a wide selection of non-photographers who were
available to me.  When I asked my mother to describe which out of focus
areas she thought were more pleasing she said "but they're all just blurry!"
 Some people simply don't care.  Two things that people who did care almost
universally dislike are double lines (ni-sen bokeh) and harsh transitions in
the oof areas where normally these would be perceived to a person's vision
as smooth in real life.  They don't seem to mind sharp transitions where
they would be sharp in life (like lights at night or in dimly lit scenes).

Surveys are not always as useful as marketing research companies would tell
you.

If you want to use a lens that can provide everything from truly stunning to
absolutely terrible bokeh, try the Zeiss 35/2.8 Distagon for the Contax SLR
cameras.  I picked one up with a Yashica SLR for almost nothing and was
astounded at the way it could provide a series of amazing photos with
incredibly good bokeh but then it would sometimes produce the most awful
double line, harsh and sometimes even swirly out of focus rendition.  I've
also rarely seen a lens whose front-of-focus and behind-focus bokeh were
more different.  It's an interesting one to experiment with.

A Noctilux in any of its incarnations is also a great lens to experiment
with for bokeh.  All versions (f1.2, f1 and f0.95) are capable of a great
range of types and flavours of bokeh.  Highly recommended.

Marty

Gallery: http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!