Subject: [Leica] Leica R lenses on Canon bodies
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sun Jan 25 13:47:00 2009

It makes for a very large
and relatively heavy package.
Yet, I love the feel of it.
If you're using an R8/R9
You'll enjoy the fact that it does feel the same.
Controls are where you'd expect them to be.

I love the mechanical mirror lock up on the R8/9
(and hate the crazy plowing through menus of the 5D to lock up the
mirror)

I love the mechanical + or - compensation of the R8/9
(and hate the menus on the 5D - because I now use it so rarely -
it continues to be a chore to remember how to make it do what I want -
this should not be the case)

[an aside: the minimal menus of the M8 are by far
the simplest and best thought out (for me)]

I love the fact you can use a standard cable release
(or electronic if you prefer - the 5D electronic only)

The screen, by today's standards, is small
and does not offer a very reliable, visual image reference.
The actual file is so extremely much better than the screen suggests.
The screen is also very slow to view when enlarging the image.
Once you're comfortable with what you're doing with the camera,
this downside more or less fades to the background (in my experience).

Battery life sucks - again, by today's standards.
You'll need a few of them if you plan to work long hours.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com