Subject: [Leica] for you wonderful "travel" photographers
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue Jan 27 08:26:20 2009

Oh, I almost forgot - there's the Big Brother aspect too.

The main purpose of such competitions is to gather addresses and other
information about users belonging to a certain target group - i.e.
photography/internet/media related - to be sold to the highest bidders
in the advertising and marketing industry.

In combination with other information gathered about credit
card/ebay/paypal behaviour, online shopping, other interests - like cars
(take a test drive of any model or ask for more info and you're already
in the system) - they gather it all together in massive databases,
cross-correlate everything and make profiles of everyone for targeted
mailings and other junk.

Believe it or not, around 85% of the populations of the so-called
industrial nations are already registered, so now you know where all the
Spams and unsolicited mails comes from, and how often it surprisingly
matches your interests.

With the going rates for information, they could easily afford the prize
money if only 1000 people submit pictures.

Cheers
Douglas