Subject: [Leica] OT RIP John Martyn
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Thu Jan 29 15:13:52 2009

Tragic,

I saw him - either brilliant or abyssmal, depending on his alcohol/drugs
level - many times live on stage both in the UK and here in Germany.
Including one of his best performances at the university in my home town
of Leeds. Live at Leeds was definitively his best live album and
perfectly captured the atmosphere of the hall and the concert.

An excellent venue, the Who concert there was fantastic too and came out
on an LP with the same title a few years earlier.

His studio albums varied from the electric (Solid Air, The Electric John
Martyn, Grace and Danger) to delicately acoustic (Bless the weather) and
jazz-funk influenced Philanthropy.

A musical genius who never quite got quite where he deserved to be.. A
man who wandered a narrow line between electric-ecletic avant garde,
funk, synthi, neo-soul and neo-folk, between wonderful lyrics (May you
never) and obscure, unintelligible Scottish wailing (Big Muff).

I think I'll be dusting off the vinyl for a memorial hour or two tomorrow.

Douglas