Subject: [Leica] Leica prices in Australia
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Feb 1 18:16:58 2009

Folks for your interest some LUG members have been grabbing bargains from
dealers here. Sadly the APO 75 Summicron ASPH. has sold out completely last
business day.
One special that I know of still is for the Summarit M f/2.5 35mm. This is a
tiny form factor lens and well reported. Several LUG folks have grabbed one
already.
The current special price from my local dealer (and others I guess) is $1495
AUD including the local tax. That is $1359 AUD for non-Australian residents.
Adeal, the Australian distributor is paying back a 15% rebate of the
purchase price until the end of February.

The local rebate applies to all M lenses except the latest 4 (21 Lux, 24
Lux, Nocti and Elmar 24). Not everything is in stock and some stock is at
new 2009 prices. Pricing an M8.2 is enough to make you gasp. About twice
current M8 prices.
What makes the deals more attractive to non-Aussies is our dismal exchange
rate. Today .636 USD. That means a US purchaser would pay (after getting the
rebate back post purchase) about  $735 USD today plus payment and freight
costs for the Summarit 35. Remember that the Summarits never come with the
hood and its cap.
Let me know if can assist anyone else with more information or contacts.

Incidentally the same dismal exchange rate can make for more attractive eBay
AU prices too. I note there are two Noctis (first and second versions), a
Summilux 75 and an M8 all listed currently.
--
Cheers
Geoff