Subject: [Leica] Is the DOF using a digital sensor any different than that of film?
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Thu Feb 5 14:26:43 2009

Is the DOF using a digital sensor (e.g M8, Pana G1) any different than
that of film?

In a question on Rangefinder forum, I was asking about using the Pana G1
as the most economical way to play "digital M", and got into a
discussion on "loss of DOF" with digital sensors.

I never understood that. With a crop sensor, isn't it just like shooting
with a third of the 36 x 24mm frame covered?

The razor thin DOF of my Noctilux is still razor thin, just that the
image that I'm taking is like cropping it to that of a 100mm lens. Or,
to think of it another way, my Noctilux becomes a 100mm f1 portrait
lens, a focal length that once was considered close to perfect for
portraits.

And fortunately, with the Panasonic, I see what I'm framing.

Isn't that so, about the DOF?

regards
Vick

Replies: Reply from leica at web-options.com (Bob W) ([Leica] Is the DOF using a digital sensor any different than thatof film?)