Subject: [Leica] Is the DOF using a digital sensor any different than that of film?
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Feb 5 19:25:47 2009

Vick,DOF depends on focal length of the lens, aperture used, and distance to
subject, and the degree of enlargement to some extant.  So, with a crop
sensor you tend to use a wider lens at a greater distance than that same
focal length on a 24x36; ergo greater apparent DOF.  On the other hand, if
you use the same focal length at the same aperture at the same distance and
enlarge the same then the same apparent DOF; you will however get a
different perspective as the crop sensor will not include as much of the
scene.