Subject: [Leica] New Leica 16mm f3.8 lens?
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Feb 6 00:19:54 2009

I knew what you meant Steve. Just teasing a little. I read the same post of
course. There is one on the German forum too, I think.
I have a suspicion that some part of the current 16-18-21 optical cells
might be usable to produce a fixed focal length new lens?? That would fit
their new philosophy too. That is entirely my speculation.
For Mark, I don't think that they are referring to the ZM f/4 18mm. I have
one and it is excellent. However it has been available for some time and
wouldn't be part of a Leica mail, me-thinks!
The snippet about a dedicated viewfinder being spotted lends credibility.
Mind you, the new Leica ones of those are hideously expensive.
PMA in Las Vegas is early March. Maybe Leica might have one or two
announcements for that?There is another unsubstantiated rumour regarding a
mysterious new option in the M world to be announced around then too. That
one might border on irresponsible. There is of course absolutely zero detail
other than, "my friend said, but he couldn't tell me.....,"