Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 38, Issue 405
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Fri Feb 6 01:44:04 2009

The early Nikon and Canon cameras are very poorly made compared to
contemporary Leicas.  Nippon Kogaku (Japanese optical???), only went
into camera manufacture to prevent being closed down by the US
military, they called their camera the Nikon, collectors have given
the early Nikon extra names to differentiate them. They had made all
the Japanese military wartime periscopes, gunsights, binoculars etc..
The company name was changed to Nikon much later, when cameras became
their main business. Their lenses were copies of the contemporary
Zeiss designs, but coated. They also made the lenses for Canon cameras
for their first 20 years or so, and many of the other Japanese copy
camera makes. Early Canon cameras were extremely shoddily made with
very poor quality metal.
When -I- was a kid, "made in Japan"  meant cheap rubbish, too.
Frank