Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 38, Issue 405
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Feb 5 15:46:41 2009

On Feb 5, 2009, at 5:34 PM, Seth wrote:

> Oh you're THAT old Larry?    ;-)

I prefer being old to the alternative. I'm a Korean War vet. At the
base PX it was possible to pick up a Nikon S with a f2.0 50mm Nikkor
lens, engraved on the top plate "Made in Occupied Japan," for about
$125. A Leica IIIf with a f3.5 50mm Elmar was about twice the price.
I passed up the Nikon. After all, how good could a Japanese camera
be?  It wasn't until I returned home that I learned that David Duncan
had "discovered" the quality of the Japanese cameras and that they
were the rage of the photographic community.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 38, Issue 405)
Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 38, Issue 405)